I have to admit that I love silly little email surveys or being tagged on the blog for any of variation of them. Karen* tagged me for ‘6 Random Things About Me’, and I’m pretty sure this is at least my third time to do it. She sent out the challenge over a week ago, but since I take these things seriously, I have needed that long to come up with 6 MORE things that you dont know. Here’s what I got:
Here are the tagging rules:
- Post the rules on your blog
- Write 6 random things about yourself
- Tag 6 people at the end of your post
- If you’re tagged, DO IT and pass on the tag
1. I have a mental calendar in my head. Its not the the typical flip-through-the-one-hanging-in-your-kitchen-visual either. Its actually pretty elaborate. Up until about a year ago, I thought this was normal-most people have some visual of the year in their head, right? Apparently not. See, mine is in the shape of an oval, like a track around a stadium. The straight sides are January thru May, and the other side is August thru November. The curves are made up of June and July on one side, and December on the other. Since tomorrow begins September, we are 1/4 of the way through one of the straights. When I think of a date–say March 22, 2009–I look across the track from where I am ‘standing’ to the other side where March is. Weird?? I dont think so. The only other person I have found that has a visual like this is Dirk–and only after I found out that most other people think that its really weird. I wont go into how I see centuries or weeks; I think this random enough for now.
2. I am a Merchandiser for American Greetings. I have two Walmarts in my area that I am in charge of, and I go once or twice a week to check their supplies, receive AG boxes, resolve any problems with management, and stock the product on the shelves. It is really, really easy, and its fun to get dressed up and get out of the house once a week. It only takes a few hours of my time during each week, and Josiah enjoys that time with my mom playing and taking his nap.
3. Dirk’s family is involved in agriculture, and that means I know a little bit more about cotton farming, wheat harvesting, cattle branding, wind farming, tractor repairing, and land leasing than the average suburbanite. I realize that anyone in Dirk’s family reading this is probably laughing to themselves since I actually know very little, but that just goes to show how little the rest of us know. I used to explain modern cotton farming practices to my 8th grade US History classes and could answer most of their questions.
4. I find security in transition. That is a weird statement, but thats the only way I can put it. Dirk and I have always felt like we were going to be doing something else very soon–like we weren’t where we ultimately will end up yet–we still feel that way. We are always in transition. I actually don’t mind it a bit. Whenever I get despondent about everyone we know owning a house but us, I start to ask myself: Where would I want that house to be? Where will be feel like we are ready to stay for good? What would we be doing? Would it be something we are ready to commit the next 10, 15, or 20 years? After I think through my answers to that, and I’m not ready to say with confidence that where we are is where we would be ready to stay forever, it cures me out of being depressed about not having other people’s lives. I love where we are and I love waiting for the next thing that the Lord has for us.
5. I’ve really been into Jason Mraz lately. Random.
6. I am 11 weeks pregnant now and during this time I have not wanted any coffee. *GASP* When Dirk makes it at home, I usually think it smells gross. If I do drink it, it has to be something made by the baristas at Starbucks since I dont want to mess with the milk(gag!).
*Karen, since there is no title to your 6 Random Things post, I can’t link directly to it!